Science Olympiad leaves for state

Lauren Shelton, Reporter

This upcoming weekend, Belvidere North’s Science Olympiad team will be headed to the IHSA state competition. The competition will take place in Champaign, Illinois with schools from all over the state. The team had a great performance overall and took third place at their regional competition, which allowed them to qualify for state.

Qualifying for IHSA is a major accomplishment for the team, as last season they missed out on qualifying by only one point and it is only the second time in school history.

“It is really amazing we are going this year and I think we’ll do pretty well since we did good at regionals. It’s also exciting since last year we were only point away,” said Madi Ursenbach (‘19).

Science Olympiad includes a wide range of events and calls for different talents and skill sets. Some of the different events are about astronomy, diseases, ecology, forensics, chemistry and hydrogeology. Belvidere North has enough students for both JV and varsity teams. The coaches are Mrs. Rathbun and Mr. Hain, both of which are science teaches at the school.

A few of the students who are traveling down to state are only in their first year of Science Olympiad and have definitely proven their spot on the varsity team.

“I am really excited that my partner and I get to go down to state and compete. I think that everyone on the team has the ability to do well in their own events, as well as a team overall. I can’t wait to see how it all turns out and I know that it will be a lot of fun. We all enjoy hanging out together and it will definitely be one to remember,” said Bonnie Konopka (‘19).

This is Konopka’s first year on the team and same with her partner, Olivia Kersten (‘19). The pair will be competing in both the astronomy event and the one about diseases. Some of the topics require the students to build different objects, research new topics, investigate, or to score as high as possible on a test.

Belvidere North is not the only school from the area that is heading to state. The team will be seeing Harlem High School there since they took first place at regionals. Auburn High School will also be there since their team took second place.

Make sure to show support for the Science Olympiad team by congratulating them on their trip to state and cheering them on.