Bulls down 2-3 going into Game 6

Sofi Zeman, Co-Features Editor

In the first round of the Eastern Conference, the Chicago Bulls face the Boston Celtics, determined to bring an NBA Championship title to Chicago for the first time since 1998.

The Bulls took the win over Boston in Game 1 in a close game of 106-102. Speculation was raised over the well-being of Boston leader and point guard Isaiah Thomas, who had recently been informed of the death of his younger sister shortly before the game. Thomas played nonetheless in Game 1, provoking question over whether he would be able to lead Boston as he typically did. Thomas quickly diminished any doubt over his performance that day by putting up 13 points in the first nine minutes of the game, starting with a free throw followed by a deep-3 from the right, keeping the game against Chicago close. Jimmy Butler put up 7 points in the first half of the game and 23 in the second. Robin Lopez, contributing 14 points and 11 rebounds, assisted in giving Chicago a lead over the Celtics.

In Game 2, Boston started out the game with a 7-0 lead over Chicago. Things took a turn in events when point guard Rajon Rondo played an aggressive game, forcing turnovers, finishing with 11 points scored, 14 assists and 9 rebounds. Chicago soon took control of the court, finishing with 111-97 at the end of the second half, setting their playoff record against the Celtics at 2-0.

Game 3 proved to be an unexpected victory for the Boston Celtics. Al Horford and Isaiah Thomas steered the team towards a win. Horford put up 18 points and eight rebounds, Thomas with 16 points. Averaging 45.9% from the three point, the Celtics won over the Bulls 104-87.

Boston tied the Bulls at 2-2 on Sunday in Game 4. With 33 points and nine assists,  (making 19/23 free throws) Thomas’ abilities became vital to the Celtics’ success. Chicago Bulls’ Jimmy Butler contributed 33 points, five rebounds and nine assists in the game. The game ended 104-95 with the Celtics over Chicago.

After a verbal argument on the court between Jimmy Butler and Marcus Smart, bad blood rested between the two teams leading into Game 5 on Wednesday night. With Rajon Rondo sidelined on account of a broken finger, Isaiah Canaan started at point. In Game 4, Canaan put up 13 points and 13 on Wednesday as well. A combination of Thomas and Avery Bradley led Boston to a 108-97 win against Chicago.

In the first round of the playoffs, Boston holds the lead over Chicago at 3-2. On Friday night, Chicago will have to win in order to move forward to Game 7.