Summer Plans

Bonnie Konopka, Reporter

As the school year comes to an end, all high school students start planning their summers. Many will go on college tours, apply for summer jobs, travel on summer vacations, attend summer sports practices, go to summer concerts, or just hang out with friends outside of school. The end of May is an exciting time for every student as the stress of end of the year projects and finals fade away and the summer months begins.
One activity that many students at Belvidere North will be participating in this summer is the music classes trip to Disney World this June. Our school’s band and chorus will be travelling down to Florida for a week to play at Magic Kingdom and have fun exploring the park.
“I’m really excited to go down to Disney World and play in Magic Kingdom this summer. It’s an iconic place and I know it will end up being a really fun experience,” said Matt Albrecht (19’).
Another school activity going on during the summer is sports practices. All the school’s athletic teams, especially the fall sports will begin training for another school year full of games, meets and competitions. One sports team, football, practices very frequently during the summer months.
“I can’t wait for football camp to start because I love my team and I think it really helps to prepare us for the season when that starts in August,” said Matt Albrecht (19’).
The school’s cross country teams will also be meeting throughout the summer. They have camps and practices going on from June to August.
“We have a lot of fun at cross country camps and practices over the summer. It’s more laid back because we aren’t in season, but I feel like we still get a lot of work in to prepare for our upcoming meets and have fun doing it,” said Sofia Zeman (19’).
Many people also head out of town over the summer on vacation. People plan trips to the beaches, mountains, music festivals, theme parks and big cities.
“My family is taking a trip down to Alabama this summer and I’m really excited for that. I can’t wait to spend a week out at the beach and spend my vacation in the warm weather,” said Hunter Vinke (19’).
Another reason high schoolers may head out of town for the summer is to go on college visits. Many students, especially incoming seniors spend a lot of their free time researching where they will head to after completing high school.
Whether it’s spent at the beach in Florida or at home in Belvidere, summer is a lot of fun for everyone and a great opportunity for students to spend their time doing whatever they want before school starts up again in August.