Competitive cheer eyeing state championship

Burke Cochran, Reporter

After being placed as IHSA runner-up last year, Belvidere North Cheer has high hopes for this upcoming season.

“I think that we are going to do better than last year, because we have been putting in a lot more hard work. I think we’re gonna take it all,” said Emilie Gibbs.

She and her team members are going to be competing against the rest of the 7 conference, and the rest of the state at IHSA.

The senior members members of Varsity Competition Cheer at Belvidere North are  Morgan Auman (‘17), Reghan Brands (‘17), Braylee Cebuhar (‘17), Isabelle Edson (‘17), Caroline Flynn (‘17), Emilie Gibbs (‘17), Alex Jacobs (‘17), Katelyn Kehrer (‘17), Ashleigh Liebenberg (‘17), Jordyn Lutzow (‘17), Oscar Piloni (‘17), Olivia Sawyer(‘17), Asa Taylor (‘17), Quinton Willingham (‘17) and Cohl Woolbright (‘17).

“The students at Belvidere North should be expecting a state medal,” said Woolbright, who has been doing cheer for two years now.

For the fourth consecutive time last year at Belvidere North, the varsity cheer team brought home yet another victory from the NIC-10 Conference Championship. The team went above and beyond, meeting all high set expectations. The team owes head coach Tammy Rentschler for their victories. She is a well-known cheer coach and the team has been successful on the mat since she started coaching. The team hopes to continue the streak this season as well.

Any students hoping to support their cheer team are encouraged to stop by the home competition on Dec. 16 at 5:00pm, and the IHSA state competition on Feb. 3 and 4 in Bloomington.