Food is delicious

Food is delicious

Burke Cochran, Co-Features Editor

Students today face academic standards higher than ever before. They are expected to do their work, get it in on time, study for tests, do well on tests, maintain sleep and have a social life. With pressure as high as this, it’s nonsensical that students are being penalized for things as trivial as having food in class.

School administrators and the like argue that school already allows time for eating at lunch, as well as there being before and after school times to eat; however, for some students this isn’t enough. Not only are there extracurriculars that can take up much of the student’s time where lunch won’t be enough to sustain themselves for the day, some students could just be plain busy and school is one of the only opportunities to eat daily.

It also is contended that food in class is a distraction. Even with this in consideration, the opposite is proven true. According to Jennifer Brozak at Livestrong, snacks at school help to re-energize and focus students, especially high school students who have unusually long class periods. Furthermore, classrooms with food help peer camaraderie. It not only engages peer interaction, but also presents creative and fun learning activities in the curriculum.

Mostly though, food in class is argued as a health hazard to those with allergies. This brings up an important point, such as the health hazards caused by not eating for extended periods of times. Many students do not get enough food throughout the school day to even function properly. New regulations cap it out at 850 calories. This is not enough for students to maintain the school day, or extracurricular activities. While these allergies may be enticing, students can bring food that doesn’t react with other student’s allergies. This is a fixable phenomenon. Not letting students eat during class creates more issues than it solves.

Food should be allowed to be eaten in class. Food is delicious.