Debate tournament has great turnout

Debate tournament has great turnout

A few members of the debate team pose for a photo.

Burke Cochran, Co-Features Editor

Belvidere North hosted its second annual debate tournament this weekend, on Sat, Dec. 3. The tournament hosted a variety of schools, some travelling over four hours just to compete.

There were three divisions hosted in Public Forum Debate, the most popular type of debate for the local circuit. There was novice, junior varsity, and varsity. North took first place in Junior Varsity, with the team of Nick Altintop (‘19) and Natalie Perez (‘17) finishing with a 5-0 record. Perez (‘17) was also ranked one of the top speakers for her division. In Varsity Public Forum, the team of Jazmine Guzman (‘18) and Lauren Shelton (‘19) placed fifth. They finished with a record of 4-1.

There were two divisions hosted in Lincoln Douglas Debate, a smaller and solo debate. There was a novice and open division. North’s only Lincoln Douglas debater took fifth place in junior varsity while competing in the open division.

“The tournament went really well, much smoother than most we go to. We have our dedicated debate team coach, Ms. Kroepel to thank for that,” said Jazmine Guzman (‘18)

The tournament was much more successful than last year. After hosting a measly four teams last year, the team expanded their tournament to over twenty.

North is looking forward to the tournament next year, hoping to expand even more and provide a fun tournament for all those involved.

For any students looking to join debate or help out, it’s not too late, just talk to any member of the debate team or Ms. Kroepel.