If it’s not the truth, it’s a lie

Haley McCoy, Editorials Editor

Let’s get one thing straight: nothing happened in Sweden.

The President went on record trying to justify his failed and unconstitutional immigration ban, citing terrorist attacks in Bowling Green and Sweden as defense for his policies. The only problem with this is that nothing happened in Bowling Green and Sweden.

The new administration has an obsession with “alternative facts,” a fancy term for outright lies. The campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, keeps up with the President’s narrative that the media has biased and false coverage. The world didn’t hear about the Bowling Green Massacre because it “didn’t get covered.” The reality is that if a terrorist attack happens, it gets covered. Therefore, this so-called “massacre” never happened. The citizens of Bowling Green itself held a vigil for the massacre, holding signs that have ironic slogans such as “#NeverRemember.”

“I think through everything he’s said, and he’s said some things that shouldn’t be said, the President has still done good things,” said Jonathan Giescecke (‘19). “I still support him.”

Those people who support the President have shown they stand by him through every scandal and misspoken phrase. There is something admirable in their allegiance to the President. As of now, however, there are some questions as to how and why they still support their candidate.

The terrible truth is that the President outright ignores actual acts of terror and hate crimes in this country and throughout history. On Holocaust Remembrance Day, he failed to mention the Jewish people. While trying to defend his racist policy, the President ignored a hate crime that occurred in a Jewish Cemetery in St. Louis. Despite this, the President claims that there is no one more Anti-Semitic than he is.

Apologies are in order because that is one statement that is just impossible to believe.

“The President needs to be more transparent when dealing with international and domestic relations,” said Natalie Perez (‘17). “Trust isn’t built through constant duplicity.”

It’s difficult to believe the sincerity of the President when he refers to hate crimes as “terrible” and “horrible.” Past presidents have had eloquence that astounds the average pundit. They’ve offered remorse, protection, and condolences in the face of terror. The current President instead hands out vague assurances and somewhat insulting generalities.

The next time you wake up to the news of a terrorist attack, check your sources. If the only source is the President or his cabinet, and there is no outside reporting on the matter, remember the President’s track record. He has proven that every word that comes out of his mouth is not inherently truthful. Trust can only be built upon a foundation of honesty. Right now, the foundation is crumbling.