That’s debatable

That’s debatable

Burke Cochran, Co-Features Editor

March is the busiest month for the Belvidere North Debate team.

There are three high stakes tournaments that the team partakes in.

The first, Districts, is the national qualifier. Teams that get within the top two places, or top two alternates could have the opportunity to compete at the national tournament, which is hosted in Birmingham, Alabama this year.

Last year, two of our teams went. Jazmine Guzman (‘18), Taeya Houzenga (‘16), Bridget Harris (‘18), and Burke Cochran (‘19) went to the competition in Salt Lake City.

The second competition of the month is ICTA tournament, for Novice and JV competitors. This year, Maya Moucharaffie (‘19), Michael Milles (‘20), Burke Cochran (‘19), Johnathon Giesecke (‘19), Jazmine Guzman (‘18), Lauren Shelton (‘19), Natalie Perez (‘17), and Nick Altintop (‘19) will be competing.

The previous year, the team of Guzman and Houzenga placed fourth. In addition, Guzman had won the student scholarship, which allowed her to attend a debate camp, free of cost, over the summer. Cochran and Guzman also placed seventh and eighth speakers respectively.

The final competition, and arguably the most influential to debate in Illinois is the IHSA varsity tournament. Last year, the team of Cochran and Harris placed as an Octafinalist.

This year, as a lot of the competition has graduated, the team hopes to surpass last year’s performance.

The team will be debating over the foreign policy prospect of a two-state solution in Israel.

This topic has been brought to contention because of Donald Trump’s meeting with the leader of Israel, and has made this a good source of argument for the students.

Make sure to support Belvidere North’s debate team this month.