Dress Code

Samantha Erb, Reporter

The school dress code was made to design an environment that is safe for learning, to have self pride, self esteem, and let students know that some clothes are simply not appropriate for the environment that they are put in.

If a girls bra straps are showing, they are told to cover up. Sometimes girls are not even the problem, the guys are the problem because they are taught that if girls are in anyway “distracting,” then they need to go and change.

Men are never told that their legs, arms or stomachs are a problem. Guys are seen as human and very rarely seen as something there for sexual exploits. Girls that are 13 through 18 years old are sexualized because the guys are the problem. If you have to interrupt a girls day at school to have her go and change, you are telling her that hiding her body is more important than her education. You are telling her that making sure that the boys have a distraction-free learning environment is more important than her education. This tells her that boys are more entitled to an education than she is. This makes girls feel like they are pressed to be objects and can be used for their outfit.

Girls have to wake up and decide on what their outfit is going to look like. But she also has to decide if it’s eligible for the learning environment she is put in. Don’t stop girls from wearing shorts, skirts, tank tops, or strapless shirts in hot weather. Instead; teach male faculty and students to not over-sexualize female body parts.  Thighs, legs, shoulders, bra straps, or stomachs should not  be distracting. The dress code only enforces the idea that girls should cover up because “boys will be boys”. What a girl wears has nothing to do with her intelligence  or self respect; girls should not be forced to obey rules that enforce a harmful culture and body shaming in order to keep a sexist society in place.