13 Reasons Why

Bonnie Konopka, Reporter

13 Reasons Why has been a popular show amongst its viewers ever since it was released on Netflix on March 31. Within its first week of streaming, it set a new record for the most tweeted about Netflix Series, with over 3.5 million tweets. The show is based off the book 13 Reasons Why, by Jay Asher. The book is written from the point of view of Clay Jensen, who receives 13 tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, explaining why she committed suicide two weeks prior.
There are a few obvious differences between the book and the show, including the time period that Clay takes to listen to Hannah’s tapes. He listens to them all in one day in the book, but takes multiple days to finish them in the show. The show also goes into more details about the lives of other characters and their stories than what is included in the book.
“I read the book and really liked it, so when I heard they were making it into a show I was really excited. I just finished watching all 13 episodes, and I think the show is just as good as the book. There were a few differences between the two, but I think the parts they added on to the original story made it really interesting. I cried while watching it and would definitely recommend it to others” said Hunter Vinke (‘19).”
13 Reasons Why stars actors Katherine Langford as Hannah Baker and Dylan Minnette as Clay Jensen. Selena Gomez is also the executive producer, and contributed two songs to the soundtrack: a cover of “Only You” and an acoustic version of her song “Kill Em With Kindness” She originally considered taking the role of Hannah Baker, but decided to work behind the cameras instead.
“A book is frightening to me because I know the cult following it has, which is the reason I didn’t want to be in it,” said Gomez.
The show addresses some serious topics, like bullying, depression, rape, and suicide. It brings to light issues that many teens face, and many people are praising it for the message it sends about these topics.
“We hope viewers have a better understanding for the darker issues, whether they’re going through them themselves, or we also hope that it’s easier to have conversations amongst your friends, and from parents to their kids about these dark issues. I think this show does a great job of showing the perspective of the issues, so we also hope that it sheds some insight onto what people may actually be feeling and experiencing emotionally,” said Justin Prentice, who plays Bryce in the show.