Girls Track

Bonnie Konopka, Reporter

Belvidere North’s girls track team has been having a very successful season this school year. So far, they have won indoor conference and every invite they have competed in. This weekend, they added another win to the season at the Antioch Invite on Friday, April 21.
The team competed against 11 other teams and finished the meet with a total of 153 points. Event winners were Sabrina Elder in the 400 meter dash, Jenna Lutzow in the 800 meter
run, Madison Diercks in high jump and the 1600 meter run, Gianna Sagona in the 3200 meter run, and Haley Dahl in the 100 meter hurdles and long jump. The 4×8 team consisting of Sabrina Elder, Jenna Lutzow, Madison Diercks, and Olivia Zaluckyj, the 4×4 team consisting of Sabrina Elder, Natalia Rudawski, Caitlin Corso, and Kayla McGuire, and the 4×1 team consisting of Sabrina Elder, Haley Dahl, Jovy Lazzerini, and Grace Bundschuh also placed in first.
“The meet went really well for the entire team as a whole. I took first in the 400m run, and I was in the 4×8, 4×4, and 4×1, which all ended up taking first. Everyone competed really well, and a lot of hard work went into winning this meet. I can’t wait to see how the rest of the season goes for us and I am looking forward to everyone performing this well at our upcoming meets,” said Sabrina Elder (‘18).
In addition to coming in first, the 4×1 team ended up breaking the school record for the relay from 2008. The old record was 51.1 seconds, and the relay team had a time of 50.4 seconds.
“It was a very good meet for the team as a whole. I got a personal record in all my events, and our 4×1 team beat the school record by almost a second. I earned a few style points in the 100 hurdles when I fell. My spikes hit the track and I thought ‘if I fall I’m gonna win’ so I just went for it. I did not expect to do so good in long jump, but I ended up jumping 16’4.5”, which is close to the school record,” said Haley Dahl (‘19).
Haley was awarded athlete of the week for her outstanding performance in all of her events this week. She contributed 30 points to the team’s score on Friday, helping them win the meet.
“It was my first time getting awarded athlete of the week. Antioch was a really good meet for me and the award was really special and felt pretty good,” said Dahl.
The track team will be competing in the Conant Cougar Twilight Invite this Friday, April 28, and in the NIC-10 conference meet on Thursday, May 4 at Beloit College.