End of the school year

Sofi Zeman, Co-Features Editor

Nine months of our year is spent in the classroom. For an approximate amount of 1,000 hours, we sit in our desks, avid learners striving to gain an education. Well some of us, at least. With two weeks left in the 2016-17 school year, a vast majority can focus only on the seconds counting down to summer.  

After much anticipation, the school year is winding to its close. This week, the seniors spent their final hours as students at Belvidere North High School. On Sat. May 13, they received their diplomas, turned that tassle to the left side, moving on to an entirely different life outside of high school.

“In a way, I’m excited to graduate. I’m ending one part of my life and starting a new one. The thing I’ll miss most about this place is the memories I’ve made and the people I’ve made them with,” said Thai Casis (‘17).

With a graduating class leaving comes another class entering the halls of BNHS. The eighth grade promotion ceremony will take place on Mon. May 22 in the North gymnasium, ringing in a new set of freshmen, the class of 2021.

The end of the semester also means that it’s time for testing. Students from North spent the last week AP testing. The AP test determines whether or not someone receives college credit for an Advanced Placement class, such as AP Biology or AP U.S History. Along with this comes finals, which are sure to take place within the next week.

These few weeks will conclude the Spring sports season. Belvidere North teams are heading to IHSA competitions in the next few weeks leading into summer. The girls varsity soccer team has their Regional Final at Milt Brown Stadium on Fri. May 19. Both boys tennis and boys track and field are participating in their sectional meets on May 19 also. Girls track and field, after winning the sectional meet on May 10, will head to state on May 20.

In the year of 2016-17 many spent their first while others spent their last year of high school. These past few months may have felt long at times and short at others. This school year could have been simultaneously the best or worst of times. Nonetheless, the countdown has finally come to an end with one final day left until summer.