Trump leaks classified information

Andres Hernandez, Reporter

There have been many people suspicious about President Trumps connection with the Russians for a while now, however nothing had been proved until Tuesday, May 16.

On May 16, it was revealed that President Trump divulged private, classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting around a week ago from May 16.

The information that was revealed was considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted, U.S. government official said. The details were shared with Trump when a United States partner relayed the information to President Trump through an intelligence sharing arrangement. The United States partner specifically mentioned that the details of the intelligence were not to be shared with the Russians, and that the United States didn’t have permission to divulge the information. Officials say that Trump’s decision to share the information anyways endangers cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump’s meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and the National Security Agency.

Another United States official who is familiar with the matter went on to mention that the material was “code word information,” which refers to one of the highest classification levels used by American spy agencies. The official also went on to say that “Trump revealed more information with the Russians, than we have with our allies,”.

The timing for Trump’s error and the media’s discovery of it falls right next to the timing of FBI director Comey’s being fired, which many critics see as an attempt at obstruction of justice due to the fact that Comey had been looking into ties between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

Even though President Trump revealed classified information without permission it is not considered illegal due to his status as President of The United States. The status of President of The U.S. allows him to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that he broke the law.

President Trump spoke publicly about the issue on Thursday, May 17 saying that he was the target of an unprecedented witch hunt.

“This is the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history,” Trump said.

President Trump also mentioned that even though many other politicians such as Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton have committed similar acts they were not treated as harshly as he currently is.

The U.S. government will hold a meeting to prevent any terrorist actions and to make sure that the information doesn’t cause any damage.