Girls Track season

Bonnie Konopka, Reporter

Belvidere North’s Girl’s track team has had a phenomenal season this school year. The team has placed in first at nearly every invitational they attended, broke lots of school records, won conference and sectionals, and qualified many athletes to compete at state this weekend.
“I’m just super proud of the team as a whole because we’ve accomplished so much this year. We won indoor conference for the first time, and 3A conference and sectionals for the first time,” said Haley Dahl (19’).
After winning indoor conference, the team’s goal was to win outdoor conference as well, although they were expected to place in second. Their hard work was paid off when they ended up winning conference with a total score of 151 points.
“After winning indoor conference and being seated second for outdoor conference, I wanted our team to prove that we could win outdoor conference and it felt really good when we did,” said Emily Dodeler (20’).
The team’s winning streak did not end at conference. Although they did not expect to, they also won sectionals the following Thursday at Antioch High School with a score of 94 points, beating out the second place team, Dekalb High School, by ten points
“Overall I think we did really well. This is probably the best track season we’ve ever had at Belvidere North. We pretty much went undefeated except for Conant, which was a really tough meet. We won conference and then we won sectionals even though we weren’t expecting to. The whole team came together and we did what we had to do to get stuff done,” said Grace Bundschuh (18’).
This spring sports season has been one of the most successful track season in school history. In addition to their impressive number of wins at each track meet, the team also broke a total of 17 school records this year, some of which had been set as far back as 2008, close to when the school first opened. Ten of these were indoor records and seven were outdoor records.
“We had an amazing season, and I hope we keep it up at state. I guess we’re just going to have to work hard, give it our best, and see where it gets us,” said Kayla McGuire (20’).
A few members of the team qualified to compete at state this weekend. This includes Jenna Lutzow in the 4×8, 800, and 4×4, Madison Diercks in the 4×8, and 1600, Sabrina Elder in the 4×8, 400, and 4×4, Kayla McGuire in the 4×8, 400, and 4×4, Grace Bundschuh in the 100 and 200 meter dash, Natalia Rudawski in the 4×4, and Taylor Ferguson in pole vault. They will be competing at Eastern Illinois University this Friday and Saturday and are hoping it will turn out to be a great finish to their season.