Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Review

kinopoisk.ru
kinopoisk.ru

kinopoisk.ru

kinopoisk.ru

Matt Belinson, Sports Editor

When following a great speech in class, what does every person say to themselves, “How can I top that?” Movies are the biggest avenue for this type of thought. Sequels rarely surpass the first film, but if they do, everyone will be kept happy with the direction of the film saga. The 2014 release, Guardians of the Galaxy, took everyone by surprise. The property was virtually unknown and the film took place in the heart of the summer movie season. The film became a cultural hit and the world wanted more.

The follow-up to the 2014 hit came out May 5 and it opened with a 126 million dollar weekend. The film still stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel as the Guardians of the Galaxy. New stars like Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone join the cast to add veteran acting chops.

The film offers a new look at the funny and charismatic characters from the first film and provides Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), a first encounter with his father Ego (Kurt Russell). The movie is good at reminding the audience of what was gone for about three years. Humor and 80’s music integrate as soon as the film opens. Character interactions and dialogue make the film stand out. While the film is good, some problems make it a small step behind the first movie.

The film has a slow moving plot and the film doesn’t hit the audience with outrageous and funny moments as much as the first film. The effect sort of wore off. The first film was a surprise from all sides and the second film doesn’t have the same factor. The movie moves well after Peter meets his father after they crash land on a distant planet. Ego tells Peter about what they really are, Celestials, who can never die. Ego then turns Peter and wants his son’s energy to make him stronger and younger again. This idea is ok for a villain motivation, it just happens so fast. Ego and Peter talk about their past for five minutes and all of the sudden, Ego becomes evil.

Comic relief comes from the typical characters, which adds lightness in a bleak film. Rocket and Drax have interactions that brought the house down. Baby Groot’s cuteness and small stature added funny situations and visual humor. The second film is a little bit funnier, not in the laugh out loud moments, but the chuckle and ridiculousness is cranked up to an 11.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 is a good film but falls short of the first entry due to a slow plot, a boring villain and less shock value. This film is not bad by any means, it just gives off a different vibe than the first did.