Summer vacations

Summer vacations

Kaci Tomman ('20) and Jovy Lazzerini ('18) visiting the Magic Kingdom.

Lily Bakulski, Reporter

On May 22, students at Belvidere North impatiently awaited the ringing of their last hour bell; almost wishing it could arrive sooner so summer could begin. Multiple teenagers already had summer plans and daydreamed of leaving the same doors they had arrived through every morning. Knowing that summer vacation is right around the corner, had kids anxiously awaiting for that bell.

For some of North’s kids, summer means travel sports like softball, baseball, and soccer. Kaci Tomman (‘20) went to Orlando, Florida for the USSSA Softball Nationals. Her team spent 12 days in the sunshine state, spending most of their time by the pool and exploring the Magic Kingdom.

“Over the summer, I spent some of the best days of my life with some of the people I love most. This was our last trip together since my two best friends are done playing ball. It will never be the same without them. It was a World Series I will never forget,” Kaci Tomman (‘20).

Other students, like Kaylee Bowman (‘20), spent their summers on the other side of the world. Bowman explored the town of Okinawa, Japan, spending one and a half weeks journeying off the air base and exploring the city’s culture.

“Japan was pretty cool. We visited my family’s old house, but venturing off the air base was the best part. Japan’s architecture and culture is honestly breathtaking,” Kaylee Bowman (‘20). She also visited various beaches on the island and ventured off to see all the cherry blossom trees that grow there in the little town.

So again, students dreadfully wake up each morning, knowing they are one day closer to that 3:01 bell ringing on May 21st of 2018. When the bell alarms, three months of summer is awaiting 1,500 kids that had been looking forward to it the first day school started again.

“After the bell rings, I can’t help but smile. School is over and all the stress from the year fades away. Summer to me means lying by a pool and not having a worry in the world,” Lola Beary (‘20).