Belvidere North’s Theatre

Belvidere North’s Theatre

Natalie Abramat, Reporter

The love for theatre has slowly grown over the years and has begun to get the recognition is deserves. After the huge success of Hamilton on Broadway, people began to look at theatre and the arts a different way. Last year Belvidere North art students got the chance to see Hamilton in Chicago.

“I loved going to see Hamilton because many actors and actresses in the musical played more than one character in the same production,” said Eileen Bunt (18’).

The Belvidere North Thespians is an honor society for those involved in the arts whether it be, lighting, tech, backstage, managing the house, or even being a actor on stage. The many advantages of doing theatre are getting to know friends, being on stage, going to theatrefest, which is an all state festival with more than 4,000 students, and many other great things.

“Theatre is a way to be yourself because everyone is so accepting and it is really just a big family,” said Anna Karl (20’).

In order to apply for Thespians, a person must earn at least 10 points, and then fill out a sheet giving proof that that person aided the theatre program in some way. Thespians puts on three shows a year, two plays, and a musical. There are also several student directed plays and opportunities in the program.

Eileen Bunt, who has been in thespians since sophomore year, is also a state Thespian officer and Vice president on the board this year. Also on the board is Katelyn Savage, Lisa Pilkinton and McKenna Mosher as President.

The upcoming fall play explores the lives of several teenagers in 10 minute plays. Sixteen in 10 minutes or less will be having auditions September 6th and 7th. There will also be auditions for Shrek the Musical in November.  There will be many opportunities and spots that will need to be filled in order to make the show run efficiently. Stop in the black box, located by the choir room and pick up information from Mrs. Taylor, or check out the call board for various volunteer opportunities and audition notices.