Girls golf starts their season off right

Rachel Nelson, reporter

Belvidere North High School and Belvidere High School don’t have enough girls from their own schools to make two individual teams for both schools, so they combine to make a Co-Op team. On this team, there are five seniors: Morgan McNulty (‘18), Christine Chustak (‘18), Sara Redig (‘18) and Angelica Gaj (‘18) that go to North and Tiniya Thompson (‘18) who goes to Belvidere. There are no juniors, and two sophomores that go to North, Rachel Nelson (‘20) and Alaina Coen (‘20). Then there are three freshman, all of whom go to Belvidere: Abby Houk (‘21), Coe Walberg (‘21) and Jaclyn McDonald (‘21).  

Unlike most sports, golf only has six varsity players. Those are Chustak, McNulty, Redig, Nelson, Walberg and Gaj. Redig was voted captain by the girls on the team. There are normally six JV players, but there are only four on Belvidere Co-Op since the team only has ten girls. They are Coen, Thompson, Houk and McDonald.

The girls golf team started their season out with a victory over Hampshire. Top scorers that day were McNulty with a 47, Chustak with a 42, and Redig with a 51. The score of the match was 193-235.

Next match, the team played Rockford Co-Op at Sinnissippi Golf Course. They lost this match 201-165, making their record 1-1. On August 24, the team played at their home course, Timber Pointe Golf Course, against Hononegah High School. They won that match with a score of 193-196 and their record became 2-1.

“I’m really enjoying how the season is going so far. We have a really good team this year and we’re hoping to place well in conference,” said Redig.

At their meet against Harlem High School on August 29 at Atwood Golf Course, the team beat Harlem. Top scorers were McNulty with a 43, Nelson getting a personal best with a 44 and Redig with a 48. That brings their record to 3-1 for all meets, and 2-1 for conference meets.

“Seeing as I’m a senior, I’m really excited to see how my last season with the team will end,” said McNulty.

On August 30, the team played at their home course against Rock Falls High School. They won this match, score not known, with low scores coming from McNulty with a 40 and Redig with a 48.

The next day, they versed Freeport at Timber Pointe. They lost that match with a score of 212-209, which brings their record to 4-2.