Girls XC dominates first three meets

Anna Hulstedt, Reporter

Belvidere North’s Girls Cross Country team has started off the season right, taking first place in their first three meets. With many returning runners along with some strong incoming freshman, North hopes to visit Peoria in November to once again claim the Class 2A state title.

Varsity and JV took first place at the Sycamore Invitational on August 29, making the first meet a big success. Madison Diercks (‘20) led the team with a time of 18:15.5. Diercks says, “Our team is strong because we care about each other, and live to run together. I think our team is going to do awesome this season. We have trained hard, and everyone has decreased their times a lot from last year”. Gianna Sagona (‘20) also had a strong race coming in second place with a time of 18:18.5. Varsity took first place at the Crystal Lake South Invitational and JV brought home a fourth place finish.

The NIC-10 Pre-conference race was last Tuesday, September 5, which included all of the NIC-10 teams. There is a pre-conference and a conference race, so runners have the opportunity to run the course twice and improve upon their time. The NIC-10 conference meet, hosted by Hononegah, will be on Saturday, October 14.

The next meet is the First to the Finish Invitational that will be Saturday, September 9. More than 60 teams arrive at Detweiller Park to race on the state course. There are separate races for each class, along with a Boys Open Race and a Girls Open Race. The BNHS girls will run in the 2A race.

The team has missed IHSA Class 2A State Champion Jenna Lutzow (‘17), but they are still running strong and winning first place this season. Lutzow was just recently named Freshman of the Week at the University of Mizzou for running cross country there. Many predictions for the season rank Belvidere North in first place for the state meet, but some put Belvidere North in second.

Besides from running, the team spends a lot of time together, creating strong bonds and friendships that help them push each other during races. Some activities include pasta parties, visiting Edwards Apple Orchard, and stopping to eat at Portillo’s after their meets.