Puerto Rico: Hurricane Maria effects

Kaylee Bowman, Reporter

Puerto Rico seems almost as if it has been deleted from the present after Hurricane Maria tore through the Caribbean. The island has essentially been destroyed being pushed back a few centuries. The country is suffering dramatically having lost most of its telecommunications along with clean drinking water and electricity.

The United States has done little to nothing to help Puerto Rico’s people. Some aid has been sent, but it is through private organizations. There is only so much they can do without the president’s and government’s help. Donald Trump, POTUS, has yet to seriously mention Puerto Rico’s condition to the public.

San Juan’s, Carmen Yulín Cruz, criticized the administration’s efforts to help Puerto Rico. President Trump lashed out and commented back at the major. He implied that she had poor leadership skills and that the people of the devastated island are not doing enough to help themselves.

Trump spent the day at his New Jersey golf club, blasting out Twitter comments defending his responses about the hurricane, Yulín Cruz, and the news. This all happened while troops and emergency workers struggled to restore basic necessities to the people of Puerto Rico.

“The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump,” the president wrote on Twitter. “Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help.”

The POTUS said the people of Puerto Rico should not depend entirely on the federal government. “They want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort,” he wrote. “10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job. The military and first responders, despite no electric, roads, phones etc., have done an amazing job. Puerto Rico was totally destroyed.”
Over the course of twelve hours, Trump sent out multiple tweets as such touching off a day of recriminations that evoked questions of his leadership skills. He was recognized for his efforts to help Florida and Texas in their time of need after hurricanes, but he’s now been sharply criticized for his slow efforts to help Puerto Rico, an American territory, that has been greatly damaged.