Debate Team Starts Off Season

Debate Team Starts Off Season

Burke Cochran, Editorials Editor

The Debate Team at North has had a busy start to their season in the past few weeks.

The team had their first tournament at Palatine High School, where Leah Hoffman (‘18), competing alone, placed fourth in speakers, and Burke Cochran(‘19), competing with Michael Milles (‘20), placed first in speakers.

Debate competitions are ranked in two different ways. The first is your record. Judges of each round decide which team won, and the team with the highest collective wins will place first in this area. The second is speaker points. Judges will assign a number up to 30 describing how well prepared, and well-spoken, the presentation of each individual was.

The next tournament the team competed at was Homewood-flossmoor, where most of the Varsity pool was judging at the tournament. Milles placed fifth in speakers, and Lauren Shelton (‘19), along with Nick Goymerac (‘19), won best ballot for their exceptional job judging.

After this, on September 28th, the team competed at Schaumburg High School and two North teams placed. Cochran and Bridget Harris (‘18) placed fourth with a 4-1 record, and Hoffman with Johnathon Giesecke (‘19) placed second place with a 4-1 along with first and second speakers.

The next tournament, competed at this weekend, North also saw great results. One of the novice competitors, Claire Difford (‘21), placed fourth in speakers. North’s varsity team of Shelton and Jazmine Guzman (‘18) placed third overall with a 4-1 record, as well as receiving first and second speakers.

North has two tough tournaments coming up the next weekends. First is this weekend at Carl Sandburg High School and is a qualifier for the Grand National Debate Tournament in Washington, DC. The next is the Glenbrooks the week after, and is in Glenview with competitors coming from all over the country.