Christmas Time in Belvidere

Sofi Zeman, Features Editor

It’s officially winter time here in Belvidere. With the cold air comes the jolly times of the soon-to-be Christmas season. Here to kick off the holiday festivities in town is the traditional Hometown Christmas. Held on Dec. 1, the city of Belvidere collected in the downtown area to celebrate. People roamed up and down the streets, observing and partaking in the holiday fun.

Multiple Belvidere North students went into town the morning of the event to help paint and decorate the buildings and sidewalks of Belvidere as a part of their community service. Tanner Mateus (‘19) came with student council to paint windows.

“It was super fun to take part in an event for my community,” said Mateus.

At Hometown Christmas, carolers and music was available to the public. Along with this, a small parade took place. Members of the school’s band participated in the musical aspect of the evening. Members of the community gathered around the town Christmas tree to take pictures and enjoy one another’s company. Hot cocoa, mistletoe and merry times were sure to be found in the city’s downtown.

This is just the beginning of the holiday fun. Hometown Christmas is one of many long-time holiday traditions to be found in Belvidere. A holiday lights show can be seen in Belvidere Park throughout the rest of the Christmas season. On December 22, there will be a Skate with Santa & Friends at the AJ Johnson Pavilion.

To get involved in smaller-scale Christmas festivities, keep track of what is  going on here at North. In the weeks coming, Ugly Sweater Day will start up. Every Friday, holiday music is played instead of bells.  Hometown Christmas kicked off the holiday season, helping everyone to better get into the Christmas spirit.