Ignite your future

Anna Hulstedt, Reporter

Belvidere North DECA spent this past weekend in Omaha, Nebraska, at the 50th annual Central Region Leadership Conference. The group that went had an amazing experience and can’t wait to return next year.

“DECA takes a few trips in the year; we just went to CRLC, and we went to a fall leadership conference during homecoming week. Next, we will start competing for state!” said Sam Allen (‘20). This is Allen’s first year joining DECA.

DECA is a nationwide business club, preparing young leaders in high schools and colleges to work in business, marketing, entrepreneurship, and financing fields. North’s DECA club is led by Mr. Young, one of the business teachers.

Students left on Friday for the six hour trip to Omaha, and returned on Sunday. The conference comprised of 13 states, all gathered to listen to speakers and meet other people from many different schools. Speakers talked about preparing for college and learning about how college life works. The weekend theme was “Ignite your future”.

During their down-time, students also had the opportunity to spend time exploring in Omaha. Those who went stayed at the Hilton in Omaha.

On Saturday, there were several leadership sessions that students could go to, including marketing, finance, hospitality and tourism, and business management. For going to these sessions in various categories, DECA students were given a certificate for going to their conference session.

The weekend was organized and set up by Nebraska DECA. Past year’s conferences were in Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, and more.

“The Central Region Leadership Conference in Omaha, Nebraska was the best one I’ve ever been to. I met so many cool people from many different states. I am very excited to see what DECA has to offer to me in the next couple of years,” said Mara Parker (‘20).