Field trip to Christkindlmarket

Field trip to Christkindlmarket

Burke Cochran, Editorials Editor

On Wednesday, December 13, Belvidere North’s German Classes took a trip to the Christkindlmarket, a German christmas market in Chicago.

All seniors in the German 3-4 class attended, as well as select students from other grades based upon grades in their respective German level class.

The market features dozens of booths showcasing christmas items from across Germany, as well as other specialty vendors spanning across Europe and a few from Chicago. A few of the vendors included Schnitzel House, serving authentic German sausages; Doner Man, selling Doner Kebabs, a German favorite; St. Roger Abbey French Patisserie, serving french pastries and delicacies; and everyone’s favorite, Sweet Castle, which served candies from across Germany and the rest of Europe.

Many of the vendors were true to their country of origin, many even flying to Chicago specifically to be a vendor for the market.

“It was really cool how many of them spoke German,” says Jazmine Guzman (‘18), “We got a chance to practice what we’ve been learning in class, as well as experiencing just a little bit of German culture. It was a cool experience and anyone that’s considering going definitely should.”

Ms. Sarah Meyerholz, the German teacher at North, plants to do this trip again next year, leaving the German classes something to look forward to next year!