Who is the Last Jedi?

The Last Jedi came out in theaters last Friday

Cassiana Pozzi, editor-in-chief

If anyone has ever seen a Star Wars movie, exclusively this one, they will know how hard it’s going to be to not give anything away, but I will try my best.

The Last Jedi had premiered in theaters on Dec 15 and brought back a lot of everyone’s favorites such as Poe, Finn, Rey, Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO, BB-8, R2-D2, Kylo Ren, and Luke Skywalker himself. We even got a few new characters to add to the lineup; Rose Tico was played by Kelly Marie Tran, Benicio Del Toro played the role of a code breaker named DJ, and Laura Dern was Vice Admiral Holdo. And also how could I not mention the cute new porgs? We haven’t seen this group since back in 2015 when The Force Awakens came out and a lot has happened since then, including the passing of Princess Leia, Carrie Fisher. But the franchise still has a bright future and after what happened in The Last Jedi, fans are not ready to see the end just yet.

Rian Johnson had his turn on the director’s chair for this one and what came from it was one of the best films in the Star Wars universe. And it showed, the film received $494 million worldwide within the first weekend. But some fans came out of theaters quite confused. A lot had happened within those two and a half hours, one might have to watch it more than once.

Going into the film, after watching trailers, everyone thought that The Last Jedi would focus heavily on Rey and her adventures, and possibly a clearer back story. While that may seem true to others who have seen it, some weren’t convinced and expected more, including the answer to a question that fans have been asking for ever since we met the female junker from Jakku. But like I said, this film didn’t focus too much on Rey because right by her side for most of the film was Luke Skywalker. After his absence in The Force Awakens, fans were excited to see Mark Hamill dust off his old lightsaber and return to the role. But when handed his lightsaber, Skywalker throws it into the ocean behind him. He is very different from when we last saw him in The Return of the Jedi; he is very wary of Rey and her power. Afterall, he was Kylo Ren’s original jedi master, he still has not forgiven himself for what had happened to him, so seclusion was his answer.

On to the other Skywalker sibling, Leia has completely taken charge of the Resistance and we get to see her in that role, which was bittersweet to everyone. It is her sole job to keep the resistance alive and this is a huge struggle for her in The Last Jedi because of the First Order’s growing strength, but she never gives up.

As for her son, Kylo Ren, he’s back and is still the First Order leader he was when we last saw him in The Force Awakens, but this time a little more confused. He acts under the guidance of the ruthless Supreme Leader Snoke who makes him force his hand in certain aspects under guilt. It is evident in this film that Kylo still has that piece of Ben Solo in him and that, whatever side he is on, is not permanent. He takes particular interest in Rey and the film gives us a look into how the two might be connected. They are able to communicate with each other, this obviously scaring Skywalker, and he makes a great deal about how Rey’s power is strong and that he wouldn’t be able to help her if she has no self control.

The Marketing for this film really worried some people, trying to make us think that it’s possible that Rey would go to the dark side or Kylo will return to the light side, but I’m not revealing those answers.

So what exactly are Poe and Finn doing during this? Or should I say what is happening with the small population that is left of the resistance? Poe, as you may know, is a commander of the Resistance Starfighter Corps, until being demoted by Leia within the first 15 minutes. He drives the members to give everything for the resistance, he never stops fighting. And as for Poe, the defected stormtrooper, the last time we saw him he was in a coma after helping retrieve Rey. He wakes up with feelings of guilt and remorse and attempts to run away. By doing this he meets Rose Tico, a maintenance worker, and the two later become close friends in order to complete a rogue mission that is vital to the resistance survival. The two practically travel the galaxy in order to find a specific code breaker that will help stop the First Order’s ship from tracking the resistance fleet, but instead they seek help from a drunken computer slicer, DJ. If you haven’t seen the movie yet, just know you are going to hate him. And of course this wouldn’t be a Star Wars movie without a risky plan involving sneaking around a First Order base.

This film housed a lot of different aspects that helped us further our knowledge into the universe that is Star Wars. What will happen in the last movie of the trilogy is still an unknown mystery, even after what fans seen on the big screen last weekend. But we won’t be seeing this group until 2019 because next year is when everyone’s favorite scoundrel gets his “solo” film. Unfortunately we will not be seeing any more from the great general Leia Organa, but fans were glad that her last appearance involved a long overdue sibling reunion. The movie ended with a bit of a cliff hanger and  a dedication to Carrie Fisher in the credits.