Pay inequality

Rachel Nelson, Reporter

In a report done by Esquilar – an executive and board date provider – in 2017, the highest paid man earned nearly $244 million, but the top paid woman? She made less than $41 million.

Part of the reason why more women aren’t making it into the high-paying executive positions is because the corporate world is still governed by ‘old-school rules.’

Women work as hard as men, if not harder than, in the workplace. This is usually to prove that they belong there, but too many times they are being ignored when applying for the same promotions as men.

A report by McKinsey & Company states that when men and women ask for promotions at similar rates, women are a lot less likely to get those promotions compared to men. This report surveyed 222 companies across the tech, finance, retail and manufacturing industries.

McKinsey also found that women who negotiated for promotions were 30% more likely than men to be labeled as “intimidating” or “bossy.” So men can fight for what they want, but women can’t do the same thing without being labeled?

Women tend to be treated differently than men are during the negotiation process. Sometimes, when they ask for a higher pay, it actually backfires.

According to the director of ACLU Women’s Rights Project, Lenora Lapidus, women face a pay gap at all ages. But that gap only grows with time and experience.

Experts say that people talking about workplace inequality is one way that they can help to close the pay gap for future generations.

In my opinion, the gap needs to be changed now. If the people who are choosing the executives are more ‘old schooled,’ then get new voices in there that will want the ‘new school’ way to be enforced.

Pay inequality is a very controversial topic. There are many millenials that think the gap should become nonexistent. Equal work, equal pay. You want someone to get paid more, give them a promotion. Get them to the next step in the company, don’t keep them back with people that are doing to same work and then pay them more.

When you break it down even more, the inequality gets worse. In 2016, women on average were paid 80 cents for every dollar men earned. But African American women were paid 63 cents and Latinas 54 cents for every dollar that white men made.

A world where half of our companies were run by women and half of the homes were run by men would be a better world. Our companies would be more successful and our laws more just. The children would gain from their father’s care just as much as they do now from their mother’s.

Women aren’t earning less money than men because they are not as educated. It is exactly the opposite. For more than 30 years, colleges have been graduating more women than men.

So, the gender pay gap doesn’t exist because women aren’t educated enough, or they aren’t ambitious enough. It exists because we have structural barriers that we need to efface from the workplace.

We need to close the gap on not just women’s pay inequality, but also race pay inequality. We should not let someone’s gender or the color of their skin determine what they are paid.