Striking Success

Anna Hulstedt, Reporter

The bowling team is staying busy this season, going to five invites within the past week. So far this season, the team has been successful. The season is from November to February, with around 20 games to bowl in.

Last Friday, the team lost against the Harlem Huskies, who were the conference, regional, sectional, state, and national champions last year. However, Freeport defeated Harlem recently, which moved Freeport to the number one spot in the NIC-10 conference.

On Tuesday, North lost to Guilford, but won a non-conference match against Woodstock. Their team showed up late, so they were only able to bowl two games, but they won. The team had another home non-conference match against Huntley on Thursday, which North won. Rachel Nelson (‘20) finished with a series of 634, Lambrecht with a 577 and Johnson with a 565.

North is looking to place third or fourth in conference this season. Currently, the team is ranked 5th. The other top teams in the conference are Freeport, Harlem, Belvidere, and Guilford.

On Saturday, the team had a great finish at the East Invite at Don Carter Lanes, finishing 5th place out of 23 teams. Kylie Johnson (‘17) finished 2nd place individually, and Brynn Lambrecht (‘17) placed 10th.

“We are looking forward to improving as a team, and growing better bonds as a team since we have a lot of new people on the team” said Camille Spencer (’19).

Varsity bowling takes four lanes, with the top six from each team using two lanes. Johnson, Lambrecht, and Nelson are North’s top three varsity bowlers. 180 and higher is a good varsity score, while a decent JV score ranges from 100 to 170.

For a normal match, there are three games which takes around two and a half hours to complete. Tournaments have five games, or baker games, which can take roughly eight hours. Baker games are when the six varsity bowlers all bowl in the same lane and play six to eight games, the equivalent of two to three games per person.

The team will look to continue their success in the Holiday tournament over break at Forest Hills Lanes on December 27.