College? No, thanks

Natalie Abramat, News Editor

Since the beginning of my life, I knew I was going to be odd man out. I didn’t want to go to college, and I still have the same objective. Many students like myself feel unsure about what they want to do with their life. I know what I like and what I don’t, but one thing is for sure: with today’s economy you can’t get anywhere without some diploma from college. However, here are some of my reasons why I don’t want to pursue college.

From Elementary school, to middle, and then to high school, all they do is prepare you for the next step of life. It’s the same thing over and over, just with more complicated problems and formulas. When I was younger I loved animals. My goal was to be a wildlife veterinarian, but sadly the dream died as life got in the way of hopes and dreams. I focused more on writing as it was something I enjoyed a lot during my childhood.  I felt that I could survive without college because both of my parents had, but whenever I told any of my teachers that I hadn’t planned on going to college they laughed at me and said I would never amount to anything. So from then on, I planned to prove them wrong.

Another thing that kept me from college was that eventually I was going to have to help take over the family business. Neither of my parents had gone to college and we were doing fine. My parents both made a living without a college diploma, and so I felt I could do the same thing. My parents would tell me time and time again that it was okay if I wanted to go and that they would help support me. But if i decided I didn’t want to go, they wouldn’t force me either. All they wanted to do was be supportive. I also found that college wasn’t always beneficial to people. By the time you had finished college, you would be in thousands of dollars of debt, no job and no idea of what life was actually like. College doesn’t teach you how to be an adult, it teaches you how to do your job, that is if you can get hired to do one. Just because you get a diploma certifying you can do something, doesn’t always mean you get a job right after college. And even sometimes, there are places that aren’t in need of the profession you are training in.

College is also crazy and dangerous. I’ve seen the ridiculous protests liberals have on the campus and if I were to be attacked for my personal values and beliefs, I wouldn’t want to be in that toxic environment. Same thing with parties and rape. I’m not a party person and at least one in six women will be raped on a college campus. With this however, people who aren’t at college have a higher percentage of being raped, but sexual violence is more prevalent for those on campus. Now it can happen anywhere, but I don’t feel safe on a college campus with all the things that have been happening. It would better for me to stay at home doing online courses rather than moving away far, having to be away from my family and friends, to study something that I would most likely not go into.

Also, with the world constantly changing, all the things the professors teach you are most likely out of date anyway. The textbook companies can’t keep up with the constant flow of new knowledge, so by the time you are out of college, most of the stuff you learned is outdated and invalid context. It’s proven in many cases such as in the profession of lawyers, doctors, or even becoming a teacher.

Besides all of this, I’m not anti-college. I just feel no real reason to be forced into something I wouldn’t be interested in doing. If an opportunity arose, and I were awarded a grant or scholarship to go to college, then I would most likely take it just for the experience. You never know until you try, but college on the other hand can wait for a while.