This Makeup Might Give Your Kids Cancer

Priscila Chavez, Reporter

The sparkly eyeshadows and shiny lip gloss kits you wore as a child are now being pulled off Claire’s shelves due to claims of harmful asbestos fibers being in some of the many makeup kits sold at Claire’s. Asbestos,which can cause serious health conditions if it’s inhaled or ingested, including lung cancer was found in some of the kits at Claire’s, the kid friendly place where you could buy makeup, jewelry, and fashion accessories.

Kristin Warner, a mom from Rhode Island was concerned about her six year old daughter’s   safety. So she decided to take matters into her own hands by sending the Claire’s makeup kits to an independent lab herself in North Carolina because she was simply curious about what exactly her daughter is putting on her face. Which caused the brand to pull nine of its makeup products off the shelves after Warner tested a glitter set which was tested positive after the results came back.  

“Claire’s was responsible and acted quickly removing the products from sale. It could have affected a lot of young children, especially because that’s who their items are targeted to and could have caused a lot of illnesses and problems. This shows that parents need to pay attention to the items that their kids use on a daily basis. This also shows that Claire’s doesn’t really pay attention to the products they are putting out,” said Mariana Cardoso (‘19).

Warner and her boss John decide to purchase other makeup and kits from the fashion accessories store and various locations just to make sure it was more than one. They then sent the kits to Scientific Analytical Institute for their own test to find out. The results revealed that the products also contained the harmful substance which is associated with malignant mesothelioma.

“Makeup that is made especially for younger kids should have even stricter regulations. The makeup should be completely safe and no parent should have to worry about their children being exposed to potentially fatal chemicals,” said Cynthia Oyervides (‘18).

The brand then responded to the claims quickly enough online saying they would be conducting an immediate investigation and recalled back nine of their cosmetic products including: Ultimate Mega Make up set, Metallic Hot Pink Glitter 48 Piece Makeup Set, Pink Glitter Cell Phone Makeup Compact, Bedazzled Rainbow Heart Makeup Set, Rainbow Bedazzled Star Make up Set, Rainbow Glitter Heart Shaped Makeup Set, Mint Glitter Make up Set, Rainbow Bedazzled Rectangle Make up Set, and finally the Pink Glitter Palette with Eyeshadow & Lip Gloss.