Winter break cheer competitons

Hannah Konkler, Reporter

Over the last weekend of winter break, the Belvidere North Cheer team was very busy. They had two competitions over the weekend. They had one on Saturday, January 6 at Belvidere HIgh School, and one on Sunday, January 7  at Buffalo Grove High School. For both competitions all three levels competed. There is a medium JV team, a large JV team, and the co-ed varsity team.

At Belvidere HIgh School on Saturday all three levels did outstanding. The medium JV got 3rd place, and large JV and varsity got 1st in their divisions. “Belvidere is one of my favorite competitions since it is in our hometown. There aren’t that many teams there, but it is still  competitive and very fun,” said Olivia Sawyer (‘18).

On Sunday, the competition was much bigger. Medium and large JV got 3rd and 1st again, and the varsity team got second by 0.24 points. The competitors were very hard at this competition, and even though the team got second it is now their drive for the rest of the season. “Seeing that we only got second place by 0.24 points is increasing our work ethic. State is most likely to be that close in points so we are using this loss as a point to work from. We know where we stand and are changing things to increase our score so we can take a two peat at the state championship in February,” said Taylor Ferguson (‘18).

Overall, all three teams are getting towards the end of their season. Both JV teams have two competitions left. They go to Grayslake North on Saturday, January 13, and Huntley High School on Sunday, January 21 for their last two competitions. The varsity team goes to Grayslake North on the 13th as well, and then they have the NIC-10 conference competition on Thursday, January 18, sectionals at Belvidere North on Saturday, January 27, and then if they get top five at sectionals they have the IHSA state competition on February 2nd and 3rd. The state competition is what the team has been working towards all year, where they will compete for their back-to-back state championship title.