Girls bowling senior night

Rachel Nelson, Reporter

Over Winter Break, the girls bowling team competed in two tournaments. On December 27, they had the Harlem Invite at Forest Hills Lanes and on January 6, they had the Belvidere Invite at Cherry Bowl Lanes.

At the Harlem Invite, the girls did not bowl very well. In fact, no one in the house bowled as well as they normally did. When the lanes were being oiled before the tournament started, the wrong oil pattern was programmed into the oiler.

The pattern that was laid down was a sportshot; those are the types of oil patterns that college bowlers bowl on. In other words, they aren’t easy. The specific pattern that was laid down was middle road. That is one of the harder sportshots.

At that tournament, the team took 11th place.

At the Belvidere Invite, the team also struggled. They took 8th place as a team. Individually, Kylie Johnson (‘18) took 10th place with an average of 200 and a 1203 six game series and Brynn Lambrecht (‘18) took 3rd with a 223 average and a six game series of 1338.

They had Senior Night Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at Cherry Bowl Lanes against the Freeport Lady Pretzels. This match is their second to last conference match of the season, with only Rockford East left.

The only seniors on the team are Lambrecht and Johnson. They both have been on the bowling team for all four years of high school, and they have both been on Varsity for three out of the four years.

In their sophomore year, the bowling team qualified for state. In their junior year, they made it to Sectionals as a team, but they could not advance to State.

During the Senior Night match, the girls had a good first game. Lambrecht bowled a 192, Johnson bowled a 235, and Rachel Nelson (‘20) bowled a 238. The second and third games also went well with Lambrecht finishing it out with a 229 and a 178 for a 599 series. Johnson with a 189 and a 215 for a 639 series. Nelson finished the day with a 232 and a 224 for a series of 694, the highest series in her career.

“Bowling in my last home match made me sad and I cried a little bit on the inside. I definitely won’t miss the high school matches, though,” said Johnson.

The three other Varsity bowlers bowled good games as well. Lauren Schaefer (‘19) with games of 105, 85 and 144 for a series of 334. Cailyn Kottman (‘19) had games of 144, 179 and 168 for a series of 491. And Chelsey Recendez (‘19) with games of 156, 146 and 108 for a series of 410.

Even though the girls bowled well, it wasn’t enough to beat the Lady Pretzels. North lost by 78 pins with a final score of 3170 (North) to 3248 (Freeport).