Chicago Bears Fire and Hire Coaches

Matt Belinson, Sports Editor

To say that John Fox was a disappointing coach for the Chicago Bears is an understatement. John Fox in three seasons for the Bears was 14-34 and did not win one game in the NFC North division. Fox was even more of a disappointment because he led the Denver Broncos to three straight double digit winning seasons. He went to the Superbowl and lost. Fox came to the Bears in 2015 with a weight of a city that hadn’t seen the playoffs since 2010. With that in mind, the Bears were not on the same level as the Broncos but Fox failed at even the most basic ideas of being a head coach.

Fox had only seven successful challenges in his entire three years as a Chicago Bears coach. That is so small and inefficient. Fox’s staple of a challenge failures was Week 8 against the Green Bay Packers. Benny Cunningham caught a pass from quarterback Mitchell Trubisky and ran to the goaline. Cunningham dove for the pylone as three defenders came crashing in. It was called down at the two yard line but Fox decided to challenge. The replay review showed that Cunningham actually dropped the ball on the pylone which results in a touchback. The drive was all for nothing and Fox said after the game

“I really wanted a score and felt what I did was good for our group.”

That quote shows what level of trust he had in his team and play-calling. They would have been down at the two yard line with a two time 1,000 yard rusher in the backfield. Fox nevertheless continued to put faith in no part of the Bears.

Fox was fired one day after losing the last game of the regular season and the Bears wasted no time hiring someone to lift the franchise out of misery. Matt Nagy, the former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator, was chosen to be the new coach of the Chicago Bears. Nagy led the Chiefs dynamic passing and running attack for the last three seasons and helped veteran, Alex Smith, throw 27 touchdown passes and only 6 interceptions. Smith and Trubisky are being mirrored as turnaround products. Nagy is about to lead a roster full of talent, just not the right gameplans. The Bears ranked last in attempted passing plays and last in points allowed in the second half. If the Bears want to get back to being “Monsters of the MIdway”, Nagy and his new culture has to provide a roster full of talent a proper avenue to succeed.