Theater Fest 2018

Camille Spencer, Reporter

With the new year here, students want to make the best out of it. What’s a good way of starting off your year well though? Well luckily Belvidere North gives students the opportunity of participating in the statewide theater festival. Theater fest is a theatrical event of competitive nature where students from all over the area have the opportunity to endeavour theater workshops, shows and learn more about the art itself.

So, how is this a good way to start off 2018? Well for starters, students come back to school after their long winter break for three days and then Thursday and Friday, they’re off to Illinois State University, in Normal where the event will be held. This year students will be leaving on Thursday, January 11 and returning back to school on Monday. They will be seeing the brand new musical called “Big Fish.” The story” Big Fish tells the larger-than-life tale of Edward Bloom, a man who leads an extraordinary life—according to the stories he tells his son,Will, who is getting married and expecting a child of his own, doesn’t think there’s any truth to the extravagant tales his father tells about meeting witches, kissing mermaids or joining the circus. He doesn’t even believe the story of how his father proposed to his mother, Sandra, in a field full of daffodils. When Edward’s health begins to decline, Will visits his father and tries one last time to find out the truth behind the tall tales.” According to Broadway.com

Theater Fest is one of the biggest festivals in the nation. That is why so many  student’s in the arts from all over choose to participate in this event, said

Joselyne Garcia (19’).

“ I think the trip is going to go great, due to the weather we might miss the opening but luckily we already have our tickets for the shows. I think theater fest is going to be a lot of fun this year.”

In conclusion, students that participate in theater and music should consider going to theater fest in 2019, it could be a great experience.