BNHS Girls Indoor Track

The team poses for a picture at the end of the University of Illinois meet.

Anna Hulstedt, Reporter

Belvidere North High School has always been known for its successful track and field teams. The indoor season is coming to a close soon, with only one more invite to go- Indoor Conference.

To begin the season, the team traveled to the Huntley High School Invitational on February 24. Several athletes broke meet records, school records, or improved their PR (personal record). North took first place at the meet out of 15 teams, finishing with 132 points, followed by Huntley with 88.5 and Harlem with 71 points.

At the Huntley meet, Gianna Sagona (‘20) broke her own record as well as the school record in the 3200 meter run with a time of 11:19.20. The 4×800 meter relay team consisting of Sabrina Elder (‘18), Caitlin Corso (‘20), Sydnie Elder (‘21), and Mia Rodriguez (‘18) took first place with a time of 10:07. Kate Oteng-Bediako (‘18) triple jumped 37-01.00, putting her in first place. Grace Bundschuh (‘18) finished first in the 60 meter dash with a time of 8.02 seconds. Other first place finishes included Elder (‘18) in the 400 meter dash, Kayla McGuire (‘20) in the 800 meter run, the 4×400 meter relay team, Oteng-Bediako in long jump, and Taylor Ferguson (‘18) in pole vault.

North continued its great season at the Hononegah Invitational the following week. This meet consisted of 23 teams, one of the largest indoor track meets in the state of Illinois. North took 2nd place at the meet with 105 points, behind West Aurora by only 9 points.

A new track meet was added to the schedule this year- the Rantoul Invitational at the University of Illinois Armory Building. This gave the team an opportunity for some different competition and to experience competing on a D1 college track. Leaving at 5:45 am to return shortly before 10 pm, the team proved to be a fun bonding experience for all who went.

“Overall, going to the University of Illinois for a track meet was a great experience. Not only was running on a Division 1 track exciting, but the long day of team bonding was priceless. We had a great team experience and that is something I would want to do again and will never forget” said Natalie Horgan (‘21).

First place finishes in the Rantoul meet included Sabrina Elder in the 400 meter dash, Horgan in the 800 meter run, Madison Diercks (‘20) in the 1600 meter run, the 4×200 meter relay, 4×400 meter relay, 4×800 meter relay, Oteng-Bediako in triple jump, and Ferguson in pole vault.

The next meet will be indoor conference at Auburn High School. Last year was Belvidere North’s first year winning the NIC-10 indoor meet, and the team is looking to take home the trophy again this season.