The Walkout: A Student’s View

The Walkout: A Student’s View

Burke Cochran, Perspectives Editor

On March 14, students from across the nation engaged in a school walkout to commemorate the 17 students killed in a school shooting a month prior. A multitude of students from North also joined the protest for various reasons. Whether people decided to go to commemorate the passed students, protest gun legislation, or just get out of class – these protests showcase a revival of student activism, at an age younger than ever before.

Student-led activism isn’t a new concept. Greensboro sit-ins, the Black Lives Matter movement, the white rose – all of these are examples of movements with heavy student activism that led to momentous change. The difference now is that the students are younger. Historically, movements like this were led by young adults, college students who were exposed to things they did not see as okay. Now, the very same realizations are happening to high school students. But is this change a paradigm shift in the views on gun violence, or a frightening change that children are increasingly becoming the targets of gun violence?

It seems to be both. The Brady Campaign to end gun violence finds that every day 46 children and teens are shot, while every day 96 people die from gun violence. Likewise, more teens today aged 15-19 die at the hands of a gun than the average of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes combined. But beyond this, the recent shooting in Parkland, Florida brings a sense of camaraderie to the issue. This isn’t some kind of thing that has no relation, something anyone can see on TV. This could’ve been any high school. This could’ve been any student. And that’s not okay.

Regardless of views on gun control, there is no reasonable conclusion to assume that what’s happening every day in America is okay.

These student-led movements bring an important spotlight to this issue. Opponents have argued it’s not conducive to an education environment; however, I think that It’s important for students to learn civil disobedience. Even though not all students have the same views in the issue – it showed unison to bring light to an issue.

This movement shouldn’t end here.