Baseball Season is Here

Rachel Nelson, Reporter

The boys baseball season is underway. Tryouts started on February 26 and continued the rest of the week. There are many returning varsity players including: Sawyer Paddock (‘18), Brock Ashens (‘19), Holden Paddock (‘20), Evan Waddell (‘18), Art Vinke (‘18), Sam Sisco (‘18), James Kirane (‘18) and Jacob Leutscher (‘19).

Losing seven seniors last season left a large gap in the team that needed to be filled. Some of those that moved up were Matt Belinson (‘18), Nickolas Jarka (‘18), Michael Paddock (‘20), Zach Reidenbach (‘20), Sean Hassano (‘19) and Brock Larson (‘18). There are a few players that will be switching from JV to Varsity during the season, which includes Carson Blatchford (‘20), Joshua Tuttle (‘19) and Andrew Houzenga (‘19).

The first game of the 2017-18 season was supposed to be played on March 13 against the Stillman Valley Cardinals. However, this game was cancelled due to there being a chance for snow.

The next game was on March 15 against Woodstock North. This game was mainly pitched by Waddell and Ashens. Waddell was the starting pitcher, walking 6 and striking out 5. Then Ashens went in for the 3rd inning. He walked 5 and struck out 3. JD went in during the 7th inning and struck out 1.

Hitting highlights from that game were: Waddell going 3 for 4 and Leutscher going 1 for 4. The majority of the runs they scored were off of walks. Larson had a big hit with two outs that scored a couple runs and started a rally within the team. The game ended with North winning 8-5.

“It was great starting the season out with a win. I’m excited for the rest of the year,” said Ashens.

They had another scheduled game against Elgin Larkin on March 16, but that also got cancelled.

The next week, they had games Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. On Monday, they versed Harvard, Tuesday was against Huntley, Thursday they played Hampshire and they wrapped up the week with a game against Crystal Lake Central.

Against Harvard, the team won with a score of 4-0. Reidenbach threw 5 scoreless innings and then Vinke came in to finish the game. Leutscher had two hits and an RBI, while Ashens, H. Paddock and Vinke all had RBI hits.

The next game they were supposed to play was against Huntley on Tuesday, but it was cancelled due to cold weather.

On Thursday against Hampshire, the team lost 6-3. Some hitting highlights from the game were: Waddell, Hassano and Leutscher with two hits each. Starting pitching this game was Ashens. He went out in the 4th, and Preston Boardman (‘18) went in. He stayed in for a couple innings before he was replaced by Vinke, who finished out the game. 

“So far, we have been in every game we have played. I think we can definitely compete for top three in conference again. It all comes down to hitting and bringing in runs when they are in scoring position. If we hit and score at least 6 runs a game, no one can beat us,” said Belinson.

They had one more game on Friday to finish out the week, playing Crystal Lake Central.

The team has high hopes as they play their non-conference games, getting ready for conference season to start.