Cosby Found Guilty

Yesenia Vizguerra, Reporter

Not many in our generation know who the actor, Bill Cosby is, or about his hit TV show known as The Cosby Show, which aired from the 80’s into the early 90’s. The show featured child actors like Raven Simone, who he regularly placed onto his lap.

Some of our generation however, may know him in a different way. The actor who has dozens and dozens of sexual assault, rape, and child sexual abuse allegations against him.

These allegations have spanned over multiple decades, with these decades also marking his many milestones in his career.

After all these allegations, Cosby had kept quiet about what he had to say about them when asked by paparazzi, or by just stating: “I don’t want to talk about it.”

In recent news, a jury found Cosby guilty of three counts of aggravated indecent assault on April 26. The assault charges against him however do not focus on the various cases that were brought up in the decades in which they had come out.

He was found guilty for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand at his home in a suburb near Philadelphia in 2004.

The comedian and actor, faces up to 10 years in prison for each count, but he is more than likely to serve the simultaneously. A sentence hearing with Judge Steven O’Neill has not been scheduled but Cosby still remains out on bail.

During his conviction, Cosby did not testify but rather sat quietly during his proceeding.

After his conviction, Cosby did not audibly react until shortly afterwards when prosecutors asked the judge to revoke Cosby’s bail on the fact that he has a private plane. Where then Cosby got up and yelled out: “ I don’t have a plane,” along with other vulgar words.

“I think that what he did in court was out of hand, like he was already sentenced and he can’t really take it back by shouting those things, it won’t help him look the part of not guilty, that’s even if he is,” said Yasmin Vizguerra (‘20).

The verdict came a year after a previous trial which ended in a mistrial, as different jurors said they were deadlocked and could not agree on a verdict.

This jury however, began deliberating on Wednesday, April 25, around 11 a.m., and worked for more than 14 hours over two days to reach the verdict.

At the retrial, five other accusers testified as witnesses and said that Cosby had drugged and assaulted them decades ago.

It was the first celebrity sexual assault trial since the #MeToo movement began last fall, and many saw this as a test of whether the cultural shift the movement has brought about would happen in court.

Montgomery County District Attorney, Kevin Steele, told reporters: “What was revealed through this investigation was a man who had spent decades preying on women that he drugged and sexually assaulted, and a man who evaded this moment right here far too long. He used his celebrity, he used his wealth, he used his network of supporters to help him conceal his crimes.”

Cosby’s defense team stated before leaving the courtroom that they planned to appeal the verdict.

Whether or not Cosby will be facing his sentence separately or together is questionable, but what may not be questionable is the amount of women he’s hurt, mentally and physically.

“I can’t speak for the women who accused him over decades ago, but if I was in the place of those women, I would want justice. Not just for an incident that happened in his home with just one of these women, I would want justice for the rest of the women that were hurt by him. And that’s a lot of women,” said Yaratzen Avila (‘20).