Air National Guard plane crash

Nine people were killed in Atlanta, Georgia when an Air National Guard transport plane crashed near the coast. This prompted an investigation into one of the US Forces most widely used planes.

The aircraft, a WC-130, crashed near Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport.

“The airplane just took off and quickly fell,” said Brig. Gen. Isabelo Rivera, the adjutant general of Puerto Rico, who said nine people were listed on the flight’s manifest.

That is the second time within the past year the version of the C-130 was involved in a fatal crash.

“To our knowledge, there are no survivors,” Gena Bilbo, a spokeswoman for the Effingham County Sheriff’s Office.

The military also commented that the aircraft was from the 156th Airlift Wing, a unit of the Puerto Rico Air National Guard and that it was bound for Arizona when it crashed.

Officials did not name any of the passengers aboard the plane that was claimed or confirmed dead. The only point they touched upon is the fact that each person was of Puerto Rican descent.

Gov. Ricardo A. Rosselló of Puerto Rico said on Twitter that the crash was an “unfortunate accident,” an assessment that the military echoed in its initial statement. A formal investigation into the cause of the crash will take months.

Videos took over Twitter of the plane flipping and finally crashing into the highway.

The C-130 family of aircraft was seen as the safest and most efficient transportation. The model is known to have been used and modified since World War Two. It is currently being used in 60 different countries around the world.

Speaking in Carolina, P.R., near San Juan, General Rivera signaled concern about the age and condition of the unit’s fleet.
“It’s well known that the airplanes of Puerto Rico’s 156th Wing are among the oldest in the inventory of the nation, and they’re airplanes that are more than 60 years old,” the general said. He added that the plane would not have been cleared to fly on Wednesday if it had not been deemed airworthy.

In Georgia, where the governor observed a moment of silence for the crash victims at a bill signing in Statesboro. Peace be with the loved ones of the crash victims.