Avengers: Infinity War review

Will Sieracki, Reporter

Avengers: Infinity War, on its own, doesn’t make a ton of sense. It’s a nearly three hour long spectacle that, to non-diehard fans of the MCU, will feel overdone and unnecessarily bloated. But for fans that have been waiting such a long time for its release, Infinity War doesn’t disappoint.

Right from the beginning of the movie, opening logos included, something feels off. There’s a sense of dread that lingers throughout the film, the feeling that no matter what happens, the Avengers aren’t going to win. It’s easily the darkest entry into the MCU yet. Thanos (played by Josh Brolin) is without a doubt the best villain the MCU has seen thus far. He’s the only Marvel villain that isn’t “one-dimensional,” he’s more than just having a plan to take over the world. He also goes against the grain compared to other Marvel villains in the sense that he’s likable. Something in the back of your head is saying that you should root for Thanos, and that hasn’t happened (to me anyways) with any other Marvel villain.

Despite Infinity War’s dark tone, there is still plenty of comic relief to go around. The chemistry between Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), and the rest of the Guardians of the Galaxy is almost perfect. Spider-Man (Tom Holland) and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) continue their dynamic from Spider-Man: Homecoming.

And although the title is Avengers: Infinity War, the movie doesn’t focus on the “Avengers.” It’s really a movie about Thanos. He’s the main focus in the film, the straw that stirs the drink.

What was easily the best part of the movie was the last fifteen minutes. (Spoilers ahead.) By this time, Thanos has collected all the Infinity Stones except for the Mind Stone, which was destroyed by Scarlet Witch. But Thanos uses the Time Stone to reverse the destruction of the Mind Stone, kills Vision, and takes the Mind Stone out of his head. Thor arrives and drives his axe through Thanos’s chest, but Thanos activates the Infinity Gauntlet. The music in the background stops, and characters start fading away into dust. The montage of deaths is the best, most dramatic sequence in the entire MCU. Black Panther, Spider-Man, and almost all of the Guardians of the Galaxy fade away and die, just to name a few.

Altogether, Infinity War is a setup film for the currently untitled Avengers 4. The next film is going to be a day of reckoning for the remaining heroes as they attempt to defeat Thanos. Avengers 4 may only be one year away, but it’s going to feel like the longest time for hundreds of thousands of fans.