The difference of summers

Yesenia Vizguerra, Reporter

Summer. The hottest of the seasons and yet the shortest of them all. Literally right around the corner and approaching fast.

But obviously we all spend our summers different, to vacations across the seas to the luxury of your couch or bed watching Netflix all day.

To give insight on how different summers may be from Caucasians versus a Mexican is actually not that difficult except for how it may be remembered.

In the spirit of hot summer days, ice cream or cold food is all we can think of. Mexicans (especially in Chicago) can remember the familiar ring of the paletero bells that basically meant a race against death. You would have to beg your parents for a dollar or two and dash towards the door to get some sort of footwear on. Once out, it was a race against you the ice cream man (el paletero) that strolled the sidewalks with a cart full of delicious frozen goods. Mexicans often make memes about the next memory, indulging in your treat that you bought with your hard earned money but with your mom’s fancy chanclas (sandals).

But that is not all, memes can also be seen online of a memory known all too well from Mexicans. When your mom would make all the hot foods possible like caldo (stew/soup) and hot chocolate, tamales, and like virtually all the foods you eat in the winter but also in the summer because your mom wouldn’t want you to get sick.

“I’m Caucasian but Italian, so like I can’t relate to this whole thing, but obviously I find it hilarious that all my friends complain about having to eat all these hot foods during the summer,” said Christina Petges (‘20).

Summer trips can only be described, in few words as, “uneventful” or “ a blur”, because of all that goes down in Mexico. Mexicans don’t go to the tourist areas, no matter how much money that may bring, we go to el rancho ( small, like a very small, town that can only be found in the country sides of Mexico). In el rancho, you have so much freedom than here in Belvidere, because you can walk out on the big road and wind up at a fruit vendor stand and get you preferred fruit with chile and lime and whatever else you may want on it. But it also comes with those awkward tan lines from your shorts, sweaty things and red marks from sitting outside in the heat where your legs have been temporarily stuck, not being able to go out between the hours of 12-4pm because of the sun. It all works out in the end because you can eat the good stuff: tacos, pozole, hand made tortillas, enchiladas, etc. And then you leave, and you miss it so much because Belvidere doesn’t compare to the blast you had in Mexico versus the blasting of your AC.

Lastly, if you couldn’t go to the water parks like Magic Waters, your mom or dad (depending on who was home at this time) would tell you to just use the hose, because in their mind, you already have a free water park on the side of your house. That way you don’t spend your money on an admission ticket, food, etc, but rather spend your money on the water bill you’re parents are about to get.

Memes have been created online to commemorate the memories mexicans have about their childhood summers or summer’s that they wish they could have.

Mexicans this year are more than likely to chill at home practicing their dance moves for upcoming bailes (dances that aren’t what you expect them to be), Quinceaneras, trips to Mexico, or chilling on their couch watching Mexican soap operas.

“ I think being Mexican is nothing special but being Mexican in the summers can prove to be the best because it’s something you can’t describe to non-mexicans but it’s just a blast in the memories you make and those you remember,” said Yasmin Vizguerra (‘20).