Belvidere North Softball Moves on to Regionals

Lily Bakulski, Reporter

The softball team at Belvidere North High School started their season off like no team usually wants to. With three losses right off the bat, the girls came back out strong in their fourth game to beat Elgin Larkin High School. Keeping the train rolling, Belvidere North went on to win a couple more games before their conference season started.

To kick off their conference season, Belvidere North took on their arch rivals, Belvidere, beating them by six runs. The final score of their game was 13-7. Losing a close game to Hononegah made the girls want to beat their next opponents and they did just that, beating Rockford East 8-7, another one of their closest games. Dodging a few tough losses, the girls came out on May 7 and started a five game winning streak. But on May 17, the Harlem Huskies stopped that streak by beating North 10-1. Even though the score seems like it was a game handed to the Huskies, Belvidere North made them work for those runs. Throwing good pitches and making good plays were all a part of how North fought against their opponents. Lily Bakulski (‘20) made a diving catch in right field to shut the Huskies down in an inning that could have gotten out of hand for the girls. Kaci Tomman (‘20) came in as a relief in the fourth inning to pitch for Belvidere North, holding back the Huskies from scoring any more runs. Their last conference game was against the Freeport Lady Pretz. On May 18, Belvidere North traveled to Freeport to face the number one team in the NIC-10. Freeport started the first inning off with scoring two runs, but Belvidere North put themselves back in it by scoring a run as well. Going into the third inning, the score was 2-1. Freeport scored 4 more in the next few innings, beating Belvidere North 6-1.  

“I wish we could’ve ended our conference season on a win, but everything worked out like it was supposed to. We played the best we could and we fought hard. I am excited to start Regionals on Wednesday and I hope we go far,” said Kaci Tomman (‘20).

That same day, Belvidere High School beat the Harlem Huskies which was a huge upset, putting Freeport at the top by themselves. A week ago, they shared the top spot with Harlem High School.

The Belvidere North High School softball team is now moving on to regionals week. Starting on Wednesday May 23, the girls will face Hampshire High School, a talented, but beatable, team. Regionals this year is hosted by Harlem High School, at the Harlem Community Complex

“I am really looking forward to dressing up and playing with the varsity players. Whether or not I play at all, I will cheer on the girls and do what’s best for the team,” said Alyson Mcnabb (‘19).

If they manage to work together and beat them, they will move on to face Harlem High School in the Regional Championship. Last year, Belvidere North beat Harlem, 10-3, to win Regionals and to move on to face South Barrington High School in the Sectional Semi-Final. Everyone is wishing the best of luck to the girls and are hoping they can bring home yet another Regional Championship title.