Sips & Sprinkles Comes to Belvidere

Sips & Sprinkles Comes to Belvidere

Anna Hulstedt, Features Editor

It’s usually pretty sad when a treasured ice cream shop closes for the winter. However, Belvidere’s Sips & Sprinkles will be open year round, unlike many in the local area.

The new shop is located on 221 W. Locust Street across from the Belvidere YMCA. It’s open daily from 7am to 10pm. While known for their ice cream and coffee, there are several other options including pastries, pies, hot foods, and more. There is truly something for everybody.

Sips & Sprinkles was purchased and redesigned this past winter, having their grand opening on Tuesday, July 3 of this summer. The shop has plenty of indoor seating with a mint green, pink, and dark wood color scheme. Ice cream cone-shaped light fixtures match the colors as well. The trash bins are even shaped as ice cream cones.

There’s also covered outdoor seating with picnic tables available that overlooks Doty Park and the Riverside Ice Arena. The park is easily accessible, so it’s always an option to take the treats to go and take a walk along the Kishwaukee River or cross the bridge over to Belvidere Park.

“The style of it is super cute and they have seating inside and out so you can come even when it’s raining,” said Madison Diercks (‘20), who enjoyed her pineapple shake at the new shop.

Sydnie Elder (‘21) also mentioned that the set up of Sips & Sprinkles is really “trendy and cute”.

As for the ice cream, Sips & Sprinkles has 28 flavors of hand scooped ice cream, in addition to soft serve ice cream. They have candy mix-ins called Tornadoes, such as Andes mints, brownies, cookie dough, rocky road, Rolo, Kit Kat, and more than 30 other flavors. There’s also fruit smoothies, ice cream sandwiches, sundaes, shakes, malts, parfaits, and slushies.

“I had an ice cream sandwich that was pretty good!” said Kayla McGuire (‘20). The shop has an option where customers can “make their own ice cream sandwich” by selecting the type of cookie, ice cream flavor, and, of course, the sprinkles that coat the outside edges of the sandwich.

Hot food choices include hot dogs, brats, nachos, walking tacos, and a variety of sandwich options. Espressos, cappuccinos, lattes, hot tea, and iced coffee are also on the menu. The full menu can be found on their website, www.sipsandsprinkles.com.

In addition to the Sips & Sprinkles shop, a sushi restaurant also opened in Belvidere during Hometown Christmas this past December. The sister restaurant, called The Shortline, is located on 118 Buchanan Street by the train tracks. The menu contains many Japanese dishes, along with sandwiches and a variety of rice dishes.