Former United States Senator Passes Away

Marissa Johnson, Reporter

At the age of 81, former United States senator John McCain has passed away. After suffering from surgery to remove a blood clot above his left eye on July 14, 2017  five days after he had his surgery he was given his laboratory results from the surgery. Which confirmed the presence of a glioblastoma, which is a very aggressive brain tumor.

During his early life John McCain completed flight school in 1960 and became a naval pilot of ground-attack aircraft. At age 28 on July 3, 1965, John McCain married Carol Shepp. John adopted her two young children Douglas and Andrew. He and Carol then had a daughter named Sidney.

John McCain was flying his 23rd bombing mission over North Vietnam when his A-4E Sky hawk was shot down by a missile over Hanoi. He was captured and imprisoned on October 26, 1967. He fractured both arms and a leg, he nearly drowned after he parachuted into Trúc Bạch Lake. Some North Vietnamese pulled him ashore, he then spent six weeks in the hospital at this time he had lost 50 pounds and was in a chest cast. In December 1967, McCain was placed in a cell beginning in August 1968, He was beaten every two hours; this punishment brought McCain to “the point of suicide,” but his preparations were interrupted by guards. Eventually, McCain made an anti-U.S. propaganda “confession”

John McCain underwent treatment and months of physical therapy for his injuries. He was rehabilitated and his flight status was reinstated. In 1976, he became Commanding Officer of a training squad that was stationed in Florida. During this time John had many affairs and his marriage began to go down hill. In April 1979, John met Cindy Lou Hensley. They began dating, and he urged his wife Carol to grant him a divorce, which she did in February 1980. John McCain and Cindy got married on May 17, 1980.

McCain retired from the Navy on April 1, 1981. In 1984 John and Cindy had their first child together, Meghan, followed two years later by son John Sidney and in 1988 by son James. In 1991, Cindy McCain brought an abandoned three-month-old girl needing medical treatment to the U.S. They later decided to adopt her and named her Bridget.

John McCain’s Senate career began in January 1987, after he defeated his Democratic opponent, former state legislator Richard Kimball, by 20 percentage points in the 1986 election. John McCain announced his candidacy for president on September 27, 1999. Republican nomination was George W. Bush. McCain lost with 42 percent of the vote to Bush’s 53 percent.The win allowed Bush to regain lost momentum. McCain withdrew from the race on March 9, 2000. “I heard about John McCain when he was running for president. It’s so sad that he passed away. Sad case :(” Yamilet Perez (21)

John McCain announced his second time running for President of the United States on April 25, 2007.The election took place on November 4, and Barack Obama was projected the winner at about 11:00 pm. Following his defeat, McCain returned to the Senate. In mid-November 2008 he met with President Obama, and the two discussed issues,around the same time McCain indicated that he intended to run for re-election to his Senate seat in 2010.

McCain returned to the Senate on July 25, less than two weeks after brain surgery. McCain’s family announced on August 24, 2018, that he would no longer receive treatment for his cancer. He died the next day, August 25, at 4:28 p.m. With his wife and family beside him, at his home in Cornville, Arizona.

To many John McCains death was a tragedy “My whole family was watching the news when we heard about it, it’s very sad.” Hailie Hill (21)