Belvidere North’s New Basketball Coach

CHRIS ANDERSON

CHRIS ANDERSON

Caden Brannan, Reporter

Belvidere North decided to part ways with their basketball coach David Loner after a 6-23 record last year. North has only one winning record over the 11 years they have had a team, the last time they had double digit wins was in 2010-11 when they had ten wins. Over the past couple of years North has been at the bottom of the conference every year.

With an opening at the head coaching spot, North started interviewing candidates for the job. Among the candidates was Todd Brannan, who had just previously announced that he was stepping away from the head coaching spot at Jefferson. After multiple interviews and a couple of weeks of debating, Belvidere North athletic director Jody Flynn tweeted, “Belvidere North would like to welcome Todd Brannan as our next head boys basketball coach. It’s time to start a new era of Thunder basketball!!”

Brannan was coming from Jefferson High School where he was very successful and went 26-7 this last season. Jefferson was able to win NIC-10 Co-Champion and a regional championship. They eventually lost in the sectional championship against Elgin Larkin. Brannan had an accumulative record of 183-122 as the head coach at Jefferson.

North went into the East summer league not knowing what to expect, but nobody was expecting them to finish in fourth in the whole league. They had a rough start to the summer by losing to East and Lutheran by 15+. But as the summer continued North was able to gel and started to win some games. They went to the Northern Illinois team camp as well as the Illinois State team camp. Between the two tournaments, they went 5-2. Those tournaments were good signs for North, but they still weren’t at the level they were hoping to be at. As the East league continued North was steadily improving. The playoffs were starting and North had to play undefeated, Rockford Lutheran. North was able to upset Lutheran and move onto the final four against East. North started off slow and was down by 15 at half, but they had a strong start to the second half and cut the lead down to four with two minutes left in the game. They weren’t able to make it any closer and eventually lost by eight. After that game they had to play for the third place game against Auburn, they ran out of energy and lost to Auburn by 20.

With the combination of a new coach and having multiple players returning with varsity experience, North is looking make some noise in the NIC-10.