F.D.A Cracking Down On Teenagers ‘Juuling’

Marissa Johnson, Reporter

Juuls have become “wildly popular with teenagers” and due to that the Food and Drug Administration announced a major crackdown on the vaping industry, particularly on the “trendy” Juul devices.

The F.D.A. says that undercover operations have started this month targeting retailers of Juuls, including gas stations, convenience stores and online retailers like eBay. So far, the F.D.A. has issued warning letters to retailers violating the law preventing sales of vaping devices to anyone under 18. The F.D.A. also demanded that Juul Labs turn over company documents about the marketing and research behind the product. They want to determine whether Juuling is intentionally produced to be appealing to teenagers.

Juul Labs agreed with the F.D.A. stating that, “That illegal sales of our product to minors is unacceptable. We already have in place programs to identify and act upon these violations at retail and online marketplaces and we will have more aggressive plans to announce in the coming days.We are working with the F.D.A., lawmakers, parents and community leaders to combat underage use, and we will continue working with all interested parties to keep our product away from youth.”   

On Tuesday, the F.D.A. came down firmly about the risks. “The nicotine in these products can rewire an adolescent’s brain, leading to years of addiction,” Dr. Gottlieb said in his statement. He acknowledged that e-cigarettes “may offer a potentially lower risk alternative for individual adult smokers,” he added. “But the viability of these products is severely undermined if those products entice youth to start using tobacco and nicotine.”

Juul Labs have revealed that they have been producing 20 million devices and pods a week, it could not keep up with demand. Late last year, it raised more than $110 million in private funding.

“I think no matter what anyone does they are going to do what they want. So the F.D.A trying to prevent teenagers juuling isn’t going to stop anyone.” Hailie Hill (21)

National Institute on Drug Abuse stated in 2017, 19 percent of 12th graders, 16 percent of 10th-graders and 8 percent of 8th graders reported vaping nicotine in the past year.

“I’ve heard of our school searching people for juuls and drugs just for being in the bathroom ‘for too long.’ It’s just annoying and unnecessary.” Caleb Karlson (21)

“Now we’re starting to see kids who are literally showing signs of addiction: They’re using it alone, we’re seeing kids who have to sneak off to the bathroom during the day,” Medical workers say.