Introducing “The Purge” TV Show

Priscila Chavez, Reporter

“This is not a test, this is your Emergency Broadcast System. Announcing the commencement of the annual Purge sanctioned by the U.S. Government. Weapons of class four and lower have been authorized for use during the Purge. All other weapons are restricted. Government officials of ranking 10 have been granted immunity and shall not be harmed. Commencing at the siren, any and all crime (including murder) will be legal for 12 continuous hours. Police, fire, and Emergency Medical services will be unavailable until tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m. When the purge concludes. Blessed be our new founding fathers and America… A nation reborn. May God be with you all.”

This is the Purge.

All of the movies in this four part movie series revolve around the central idea that crime is made legal for 12 hours. Fans couldn’t get enough thrill from these movies producers and creator, James Demonaco,  decided to take it up a notch by introducing the “The Purge,” a television show based off the horror movies. This American television series is set to consist of 10 episodes and one season until further notice.

“I have watched all four purge movies and I felt that they got repetitive but I plan on watching the show to see how different it could be and whether or not there is more to this story in a television format,” said Erika Rodriguez (‘19).

It’s first episode premiered on Sept 4 (E1: “What is America?”) The pilot follows the beginning of the Purge and describes how it became an annual holiday. The characters in this world either have two choices:  purge, go out and kill people, risk it all or stay safe indoors but risk being purged upon.  People who tend to stay inside cover their homes with wood boards and nails. A character in circumstances of wealth likely have a better chance of survival.

The show follows three different experience stories. One story revolves around Miguel, who just got back from the Marines and is looking for his sister, Penelope, who was since become a member of the purge worshiping cult. Miguel tries to save her from the life she has chosen.

The next main plot in the shoe consists of Jane, who is spending the night to close a deal before international markets open. Jane’s job and other place like hospitals are a Purge Safe Zone where no one can go purging there. Later Jane leaves her floor for a secret mission where she pays a woman money when the purge starts for some type of illegal, well now legal job.

Finally we get to the last plot and meet the two main characters. Jenna and Rick who are a anti purging couple but somehow get invited to a Purge Party in order to seal their business deal. Jenna and Rick plan on securing finance for a charity that will provide housing to the unprivileged. Their plan is to make the deal without socializing with people at the party who are to blame for theses annual purges.

But the gag is while at the party Jenna and Rick spot a woman named Lila who Jenna and Rick once had a sexual interaction with together, as shown in a series of flashbacks, and try to avoid her at the party.

“The show seems interesting I would watch it because I usually like to watch scary, horror type of movies and I would like to see how they played out the whole thing,” said Jenny Martinez (‘19).

There are currently two episodes out right now and a new episode comes out every Tuesday on the USA channel or the SyFy channel.