Girls Tennis in hopes of claiming the Conference title

Citlalli Perez, Reporter

The Girls Tennis team have kicked off the 2018-2019 fall season with their first match on August 21 against Woodstock. The North team has competed in a plethora of matches already and continue to dominate in most matches.

This past Saturday, the BNHS tennis team hosted the BNHS Quad Invite. There, the girls’ team played some tough matches but managed to take first as an overall team.

“I’d say that the season is going well personally, I’m enjoying the matches and not stressing as much. As a team, I think we’ve bonded closer this year and understand each other’s game,” said Caroline Park (‘20).

Prior of the start of the season, there was a summer Co-Op camp where Varsity coach Hillman and JV coach Roman would be able to make out a starting lineup.

This coming week, the team will have a home match against Hononegah on Thursday and will travel to Woodstock North on Monday.

Many individual players, new and returning to the sport, are in hopes of improving this season. Varsity practices every day after school, when no matches are scheduled, from 3:30 to 5 at the North tennis courts.

During practice, Coach Hillman rearranges the doubles partners frequently to find which player works best together and which don’t.

“I would like to improve as a player so that I could contribute in adding wins to the team’s record,” said Monserrat Arellano (‘20).

The JV team has the same time slot, but due to the high number of players, practicing at North would lead to an overcrowded. The JV team practices at Belvidere Central Middle School.

The team still awaits many matches and a few Saturday morning games to come till the NIC-10 Conference Tournament, scheduled to take place October 5. The team is not favorite to win championships, but their goal is to come back stronger than ever after retiring 6 starting varsity players. Auburn is likely to take the tournament will their strong No. 1 and No. 2 singles seed.   

As for returning starters, there are only two, Caroline Park (‘19) and Olivia Kirsten (‘19).  Other starters joining the lineup consists of doubles: Remy Bice (‘19) and Morgan Dent (‘20), Lauren Shelton (‘19) and Olivia Hart (‘19) and then Maisy Rathbun (‘20) and Paige Lambright (‘20) are going to step on to new courts.

North’s varsity Coach Hillman has some words about the current season, “Our Record is currently 11 wins and 2 loses. We are fighting for one in the top few spots in the conference. The tough part of our schedule is coming up against top teams Boylan and Hononegah.”

The team will continue to put in the time and effort to make it back and claim the tournament trophy once again. The teams will have to see how the season plays out.

For those interested, the team will have two matches next week on Tuesday and Thursday at the Belvidere North Tennis courts. Home matches start at 4:30.