Praying at the football game

Justin Trimble, reporter

The Belvidere North High School’s sophomore football team prays before every game. This was led by coach Brian Drop. He came to players on Wednesday, September 5 and he stated that he could no longer lead us in prayer before every game.

There was an anonymous letter sent in of the team bowing their heads and gathering around the coach.

Before each game, our coach prayed that we play our very best he thanked God for the opportunity to play and asked for no injuries on both sides and then we all say Amen.

The district does not see anything wrong with that and all the players love it. But the fact that coach Drop was a part of it made it wrong. Since North is a public school some people viewed it as  he was forcing religion down our throats. In my opinion, he was not. However, North  gave us the opportunity fto keep praying, but it can no longer be lead by a coach. Because of this, Hunter Keithley(21) stepped up and took over the prayer as a player. He feels he is worthy to step up and take on the responsibility of leading us.

The players do take this seriously because there is so much going on in our lives and on Friday nights when everyone can be together with our brothers on the field our family in the stands. When we can all come together and forget about everything in our lives and just relax and ask for God’s help, makes it ten times more special.

“It makes me feel like I’m playing for a purpose and really makes me feel like that good type of anxiousness that just hypes me up,” stated Keithley, when asked why he prays before a game.

How many times in your life do you get the moments in your life you will never forget? They aren’t that common. The most significant things in your life are your passions. If you are passionate about football, and your coach gives you a minute to come together with your family because he wants you to thank God for the opportunity to play anyone would take that.

When you come together with family and focus on one thing (God) it becomes one of those moments that you’ll never forget. Some of the greatest days of your life are your wedding and when your children are born. The days that you can focus on yourself go fast. Your high school years go by very fast and we need all the time we can get to reflect on the hard work we did in such a short amount of time.

The hard work that the players do every day is comparable to war. Why do we not get the right to pray with our leader? No one said that we had to pray with him. I don’t feel forced to pray with him. I have not heard anyone say anything positive about him not praying with us. I don’t understand why we have to sacrifice and make this change for no reason. I know I don’t agree with the decision, but I am thankful that we are still able to pray on our own.