Hurricane Florence Devastates the East Coast

Caden Brannan, Reporter

Hurricane Florence made landfall over the Carolina’s on September 14. It was downgraded to a tropical storm but it still had wind gusts up to 90 mph. It was a slow moving storm with sustained winds at 50 mph. The storm has dumped nearly 30 inches of rain in North Carolina, and a total of 18 trillion gallons of water on the East Coast. North Carolina is still projected to get an additional 15 inches of rain during the week, all of the rain has lead to severe flooding. The rain caused the rivers to flood and drain into the ocean, but because of the waves from the hurricane acted as a plug to the rivers. The water would collide with each other at the mouth of the river, and it would create a stand still. There was no way for the water to drain out of the rivers.

“The rainfall is epic and will continue to be,” Governor Roy Cooper said.”Particularly along the Sandhills to Charlotte, we’re going to have areas flood that have never flooded before,” Gov. Cooper warned on Saturday. “We just don’t want people to think this is over because it’s not. It’s not anywhere.”

The storm has killed a total of 37 people since September 14, and has left nearly one million people without power. A mother and baby were killed after a tree fell on their house during the storm. And a 78-year old man was killed after he was connecting extension cords during the rain. Another man was killed after he was blown away by the wind while he was checking on his dogs. His family found him outside on Friday morning.

Many people and companies came together to help with the recovery process. Michael Jordan donated $2 million to North Carolina and South Carolina. Target also donated $1.5 million to non-profit organizations like Team Rubicon.

The storm has affected more than just the people in the area. One of the largest chicken companies in the U.S. was in North Carolina, and once the storm hit they lost 1.7 million chickens. Sanders Farms said that there was another 30 farms that were isolated because of the flooding, so they were unable to get the feed trucks to the chickens. The storm has also damaged tobacco crops, peanuts, and cotton.

Government officials are worried about the pollution of the flood water. North Carolina has many open air manure pits on multiple different hog farms. The pits hold urine and feces to be sprayed as fertilizer. The pits are starting to overflow and spill into the flood waters.