Mosquitoes on the Rise

Citlalli Perez, Reporter

As the recent increase in scattered rain storms and higher temperature conditions cause flooded rivers and humidity levels to rise, so have the intensity of nature’s vicious creatures. With the ideal water levels and temperature, mosquitoes have reproduced at an alarming rate. When flooded water levels decrease, damp and dry temperatures are prevalent throughout American’s North region, calls for a boost in reproductions.

Aedes vexans mosquitoes, also known as floodwater mosquitoes are common to emerge at an alarming rate when water level increases. The word “vexans” is originated from the Latin word “vexare”, meaning to harsh or torment.

“The mosquitoes this season are horrible. Once you step outside, you’re swarmed with hundreds of small blood-sucking bugs. You can’t enjoy the outdoors without being bitten,” said Gisselle Parra (‘20).

Mosquitoes are normally seen in the summer months of May, June, and July. The recent increase in warmer temperatures have progressed to the fall months of August and September.    According to Northwest Mosquito Abatement District, late August and September are the peaks of the mosquito season. Michigan Human Services and Department of Health have reported a case of Eastern Equine Encephalitis with a linked mortality rate 1 to 3 for humans. With the increase in mosquitoes, transfer of the disease is very common.

EEE is a rare viral disease spread by mosquitoes immigrating from parts of South America and the Caribbean. This disease most affects horse and humans causing a four-to-ten infection period.  There hasn’t been a case of EEE since Michigan’s 2010 infected horse case. In Midland County Mosquito Control, there has never been a recorded case of human infection linked to the disease.

Doug and his crew have worked the past weeks to reduce the mosquito population by targeting the production site of the forest woods. They have been thermal fogging, which is a greater enforced mosquito prevention method rather than using bug repellant in most parts of a mosquito production site.

“Mosquitoes are usually seen during the summer, but there has been an abnormal number of recent mosquitoes. I really don’t know why we have mosquitoes,” said Yamilet Perez (‘21).

Recent studies have shown that mosquitoes are eating through microplastic. Microplastic, are small pieces of plastic found in the environment resulting from the disposal and breakdown of consumer products.

This plastic in specific can remain in a mosquitoes body system until adulthood. This leads to the transfer of microplastic and disease being spread by many mammals bitten by a contaminated mosquito. Plastics and other pollutants have been classified at the bottom of the food chain but are now moving up the chain and easily accessed by animals that wouldn’t normally have access to plastic.

In hopes of reducing the number of microplastics found in the environment, areas of the U.S. and the U.K. have banned microbeads found in tubes of toothpaste, shower gel, and face cleansers.